- Junior Sailing Registration is now open. Visit Programs for details and
Registration.For more information contact Emily Simon, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download the full Junior Sailing Curiculum.
- Applications for limited capacity Advanced Racing Clinics are now being taken for Advanced Opti Racing Clinic with Mauricio Galarce, June 2–3 and Advanced 420 Racing Clinic with Mitch Hall, June 16 & 17.
- Adult Learn to Sail Registration is now open. Visit Programs for details and Registration.
- The price for the six-week session is now 25% off — $300 for members and $450 for sponsored guests. For more information contact Wally Cross 586-596-8854.
Meet Emily Simon, GPYC Youth Sailing Director.
A Grosse Pointe native and GPYC junior sailing alumnus, Simon is thrilled to return to her home club to inspire and teach a new generation of sailors.
Simon’s history includes being on the first high school team from Grosse Pointe to qualify for the Mallory Nationals in Washington. Later, at College of Charleston in South Carolina, her coed team placed third and fifth place at team racing nationals in 2008 and 2009.
Since then, Simon has continued to immerse herself in sailing both locally and nationally. She has competed in the Bayview Mackinac Race, winning her class three time, and she has brought home the Championship of Champions trophy twice. Simon enjoys racing Lightnings and J/70s locally and nationally, as well as Etchells, 29ers, J/24s, and Melges 32s as both a skipper and a crew.
GPYC Buddy Program
Grosse Pointe Yacht Club members’ children who sign-up for any Youth Sailing Program this summer can bring along a guest.
The Buddy Program is designed to allow kids to continue training with their friends to expand their interest in Sailing.
Buddies will get:
- Ability to sign-up for any Youth Sailing Program at GPYC
- A temporary credit account to use at Grog Shop/Poolside only.
GPYC members and their Buddies can sign-up for programs on April 22, 2018, 1–3pm at GPYC.
Contact Emily Simon or Wally Cross at 313 640-7014 For more information and description on sailing programs visit Programs
ADVANCED OPTI RACING CLINIC WITH MAURICIO GALARCE, June 2–3
- Up to 16 kids
- The clinic will focus on boatspeed and boat handling
- Two full days on the water and in the classroom with a top notch opti coach
Mauricio Galarce is a 2008 graduate of Florida State University (B.A., Political Science, International Affairs). While studying at FSU, Galarce re-organized its sailing club into a competitive ICSA team, which he served as Race Team Captain. After graduation, Galarce returned to his hometown of Miami, Fl. finding employment with Sail Laser, L.L.C. where he ultimately advanced to the position of Center manager. Throughout those years, Galarce contested various Snipe, Etchells and J24 championships, and actively campaigned the 49er.
In 2012, Galarce assumed the position of Head Green Fleet coach at the Coral Reef Yacht Club. Emphasizing learning and dedication, and using a competitive curriculum, his early coaching efforts immediately bore fruit. During his tenure, CRYC’s Green Fleet program won the Green Fleet Division of both the 2013 and 2014 National Championships, and placed podium finishers at the 2013 and 2014 Orange Bowl Green Fleet Regattas. In 2015, Galarce began coaching CRYC’s RWB program, where his success continued, helping to qualify 32 and 25 CRYC sailors for the 2015 and 2016 U.S.O.D.A. Team Trials, respectively, and winning the 2016 U.S. National Championship.
After seeing-through the success of a historic, home-grown generation of Optimist talent, Galarce started coaching at the Key Biscayne Yacht Club in Fall, 2016. Galarce continues to pursue his passion for the sport, employing his unique motivational methodology, and a commitment to constant, high-level improvement in the tradecraft of both sailing and coaching, to raise future cohorts of champion sailors.
ADVANCED 420 RACING CLINIC WITH MITCH HALL
OPEN TO THE PUBLIC: JUNE 16–17
GPYC SAILORS: JUNE 18
- During this clinic sailors will work on boat speed and boat handling with a top college racing coach. This intensive clinic will last two days both on the water and in the classroom
Advanced Coaching Clinics
June 2 with Maurico Calarce in the MAC
June 17th with Mitch Hall in the MAC. Open to all coaches.
BEGINNING LASER CLINIC, June 9–10
- Eight kids in clinic
- Designed for Opti and 420 kids interested in learning the Laser
- Two full days on the water and in the classroom
- Conducted by top local coaches
- By the end of the clinic kids will know how to rig/derig and basic boat handling.
- Fun regatta on the last day of the clinic.
COLLEGE SAILING INFORMATIONAL NIGHT WITH MITCH HALL
IN THE MAC (MARINE ACTIVITY CENTER)
- Open to all parents and high school sailors.
- Learn what college sailing is all about.
- Learn how to apply to colleges sailing programs and get in touch with coaches.
- Know what to expect if try out for a college team.
- Understand the benefits and opportunities that come with college sailing.
- Grosse Pointe Youth Nautical Education Foundation will discuss their scholarship program. Each year GPYNEF awards up to 10 scholarships to students who apply and have sailed in a DRYA sailing program.
Grosse Pointe Yacht Club's Junior Sailors are on the water all year round.
Fall, Winter & Spring
In the Fall and Spring, the club hosts the Grosse Pointe South, Grosse Pointe North and University Liggett School High School, Brother Rice and De-Lasalle teams. Practice takes place during the week to prepare for JV and Varsity regattas on the weekends. Schools training at GPYC are regular competitors in the Midwest Championships as well as the High School Nationals in Team Racing and Fleet Racing.
During this time, we also will host an Optimist training program for advanced racing and Green Fleet. Practices run on the weekends with the kids having an opportunity to compete several times a season and participating in specialized clinics.
During the winter, our sailors travel to warmer climates for midwinter events in the C420, Laser, and Optimist Fleets.
Summer is the busiest time of year for us, with instruction starting at age 7 with learn to sail and running all the way through advanced racing at 18. These programs are designed to provide something for all levels of sailor.
Are you interested in helping your child to join this great team or finding out more about the programs?
Wally Cross-Grosse Pointe Yacht Club Sailing Director
I have been racing sailboats for 50 years and have been on over 20 boats that have won North American and World Championships. I also have race over 100,000 miles in the ocean sailing the last two Trans-Pac races to Hawaii. I am committed to help educate sailors at all ages and experiences. I can help your child reach the Olympics or just love the sport of sailing. Grosse Pointe Yacht Club has invested in the finest facility to make the sailing dream come true.